Last night was fun going to watch the game at Empire Field. The Whitecaps put up a good fight. After a boring first half, they totally dominated the second one. They had many chances to score but, in the end, a fluke goal for Toronto deflected by a Whitecaps player into his own net helped them tie the game at 1-1 at the 73rd minute.
It was great being seated — ermmm… standing — in section 217. Lots of colorful supporters chanted throughout the game.
I can’t write everything they said, but here are some of the highlights off the field:
– They started off chanting “Come to 2-1-7!… Come to 2-1-7!…”
– Another chant: “Vancouver… Vancouver… We’re blue, we’re white, we’re [put your favorite expletive here] dynamite!”
– Humming loudly the chorus to song “Just Can’t Get Enough”
– Someone brought a beach ball and people started playing with it. When one of the colorful fans screwed up and sent the ball flying off the stands, his buddies we’re unapologetic and they (dozens) started chanting “IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!” and pointing the finger. LOL
– When a Toronto player would “injure” himself (literally, I think lol), they’d chant “Same old Toronto… Always cheating!”
– We missed the Canucks game, but we got updates here and there, including a “7-2” chant. lol
As you can see, it was a lot of fun being around that area — if you don’t mind standing the whole game. I sit all day at my computer, so it didn’t bother me… We definitely had the most animated section of the stadium (even beating the drummers which played now and then, here and there, but not as often as these guys).
By the way, if you haven’t been to Empire field yet, check it out, it’s a great venue for any game! :)
Funny that my “game” report has more content from off the field. lol Football is not my favorite sport to watch (love to play, though), but it still was worth it, totally. It helps to have had a free FIFA Soccer 11 XBox 360 game with my Groupon deal, too. :)